Friday, May 14, 2010

Follow Friday: Betty's Online Source of the Week: Find-a-Grave

If you haven't already searched on Find-a-Grave , now's the time to check it out!

Find-a-Grave consists of a search engine and user submitted photos of tombstones and graveyards, often with additional information and memorials. The website's header indicates that users  have submitted millions of cemetery records and memorials.

In a few short searches, I was able to find tombstone photos for about a dozen ancestors all across the US.  I had never seen the photos before.  In one or two cases, I had no idea when or where the individual had died!

There is an edit function on each memorial if you need to contact the submitter to make corrections, etc.  I was able to connect with two submitters who are distantly related to me, and one has shared really fabulous information with me on my grandfather's sister and her family!

Have a great day!

Betty

© Betty Tartas  2010

4 comments:

Barbara Poole said...

Betty, I am glad you wrote about one of my favorite sites. Funny, but when I clicked on your link to FAG, it came up with my site, with my name as contributor (must be a cookie or something). Good post.

TCasteel said...

It's always great to make new contacts!

Cindy said...

Hi Betty, Find-a-Grave has been one of my long time favorites for finding burial information. Not only can you also contribute to the site with headstones from your own area, but you can also request that volunteers go out and photograph stones away from you if you know where the burial took place. This has been a wonderful tool for me and it's an easy way to give back when you can.

Lisa Swanson Ellam said...

I'm also a frequent user of Find A Grave. Thanks for featuring one of my favorite sites!