Thursday, June 3, 2010

Treasure Chest Thursday: The Gleaners

When my mother passed away in 2004, I inherited the few remaining articles that she had inherited from her mother, Ruby Bolton Brown.  Besides the box of  Alaskan photographs, and my grandmother's desk, the item I cherish  most is a small framed print of "The Gleaners", a painting by Jean Francois Millet


This is a photograph circa 1918 of my maternal grandparents' living room.  They were renting a nice Arts and Crafts style house in the Wallingford district of Seattle, and had only been married for three years.  They had one son, Teddy, who was a toddler. My mother was yet to be born.  They didn't have a great deal of money, but my grandfather had a good job with the Seattle office of the General Appraisal Co of San Francisco. Eventually they would move to California, and live there for over thirty years. 

Above the fireplace  you can see the small framed print  on the left.  On the right is a photograph of my grandfather's grandfather JOHN F MARTINE (see my blog post about him)

Today, the framed print hangs in my kitchen, and is one of my most treasured possessions!




Have a great day!

Betty

© Betty Tartas  2010


2 comments:

Lisa Wallen Logsdon said...

I've always loved this picture. My grandparents had a copy on their living room wall and another picture of a farm scene with geese. Really brings back memories! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

I inherited a smaller version of this photograph from my Grandmother and I treasure it too :-). -Beth