Friday, January 21, 2011

A Friend of Friends Friday: African American Slaves Named in the 1813 Will of JOHN WOFFORD Sr of Spartanburg SC

JOHN WOFFORD Sr was my great X 5 grandfather.  He was born 1730-1750 in (supposedly) Prince Georges Co MD, and died 1813 in Spartanburg, SC.  He is generally thought to have married ELEANOR,  her maiden name supposedly BUSHROD-- but I have never been able to find any records to support this. Other researchers indicate his wife as SARAH.

Two of his four brothers,  JOSEPH WOFFORD and WILLIAM WOFFORD,  had land in Mecklenburg/Tryon Co NC 1766-1772 (which parts later became Anson Co NC, and then Spartanburg Co SC). Their land was on the Pacolet River; Lawson's branch,  tributary of the Pacolet, runs through the city of Spartanburg.

They were all supposedly the sons of ABSALOM WOFFORD b 1703 & SARAH HOSEA, who supposedly died in Rock Creek, Montgomery Co MD--although I have never been able to find any records to support this, either.

JOHN WOFFORD Sr fought in the Revolutionary War;  he served as an enlisted man in the 6th Carolina Regiment (SC) enlisted June 1, 1778--Sept 11, 1778 in Lt Col William Henderson's & Capt John Buchanan's Company.

That is the earliest SC record I have for him.

JOHN WOFFORD Sr and his wife had eleven, possibly twelve  children, most born in Spartanburg--but he only mentions two children by name in his will.

The children of JOHN WOFFORD Sr & ELEANOR his unverified wife as per the book "History of Spartanburg SC" by J B O Landrum were:

DORCAS WOFFORD born Dec 6, 1766 Spartanburg SC m ENOCH BRUTON (my line)
CYNTHIA / SYNTHA WOFFORD born 1770s
PRISCILLA PRECIOUS WOFFORD b 1770s m JAMES BENNETT Jr
JOHN WOFFORD Jr b 1770s-1780s  m MARY A unknown
ELEANOR WOFFORD b 1770s-1780s
JAMES WOFFORD b abt 1780 m SELAH / CELIA / CECILIA BENNETT
HIRAM WOFFORD b 1780s
CLARA / CLARY WOFFORD b 1770s-1780s
WILLIAM BUSHROD WOFFORD b 1780s-1790s m MARY unknown
SARAH WOFFORD b 1780s m SAMUEL FLOYD
ISAAC WOFFORD b 1792 m JANE / JEAN / JENNIE BENNETT



WILL OF JOHN WOFFORD SR Spartanburg, SC written 1808; probated 1813.
In the name of God Amen, I, JOHN WOFFORD Sen., of the State of So Carolina and District of Spartanburgh, being weak in body but of sound memory blessed be God do this 3rd day of May in the year of our Lord eighteen hundred & eight make and publish this my last will and Testament in manner following, that is to say,


First, I give and bequeath to my son ISAAC WOFFORD one Negro man named CYRUS. I also give and bequeath to my son WILLIAM WOFFORD two Tracts of Land, one of the thirty six acres taken up by myself, the other two hundred & forty more or less, purchas'd by myself from Joseph Lannom, one negro woman named TEMPEY, all my stock of Cattle, hots & sheep, farming tools, household furniture, with this injunction that he take care of his mother & provide for her, her lifetime. 


And in respect of the rest of my children, I have given them and each of them in my lifetime what I designed to give them.


And lastly I do make and constitute my well beloved son WILLIAM WOFFORD & my trusty friend WILIE WILLFORD (
note: difficult to decipher on original. Surname likely WILLIFORD, i.e. WILIE/WYLIE WILLIFORD, son of BRITTAIN WILLIFORD; both are in numerous records in Spartanburg) Executors to this my last will and Testament, in witness whereof I the said JOHN WOFFORD Sen have hereunto set my hand and seal the day & year above written.

Signed, Sealed & published by the said JOHN WOFFORD Sr as & for his last will & Testament in the presence of us who were present at the signing & sealing thereof--WILIE WILLFORD (
WILLIFORD), MARK BENNETT, JAMES BENNETT.

South Carolina Spartanburgh District. Personally appeared before me WILIE WILLFORD (
WILLIFORD), MARK BENNETT & JAMES BENNETT who being duly Sworn on the Holy Evangelist of Almighty God, doth make oath and say that they saw JOHN WOFFORD sign, seal & publish , pronounce and declare the same to be and contain his last will and testament,that he, the said JOHN WOFFORD, was then of sound and disposing mind, memory & understanding, to the best of the deponents knowledge and belief; and they the said WILIE WILLFORD (WILLIFORD), MARK BENNETT & JAMES BENNETT did sing their names as witness thereto, at the request of the testator in his presence; at the same time qualified WILLIAM WOFFORD Executor. Given under my hand this 25th day of November, 1813. W. LANCASTER, Ord. Of Spartanburg Dist.


Have a great day!

Betty




© Betty Tartas  2011



1 comment:

getitrite85 said...

I have been updating my Slaughter-Wofford family and came across your sites. Interesting info. Thanks for all the research and I hope I can find more info on the Woffords (my aunts say Wawww ferd) Their mom, Lula Dewitt Wofford 1893 parents are Oliver A.Wofford 1861 and Elizabeth Sarah Flowers 1861. I have been working on the family since the mid 70s but joined ancestry.com about 16 years ago. The last year I have been working on it feverously as there are 7+ DRT patriot members of Texas history/revolution. My ancestry family is AaSLAUGHTER54. Thanks again, Carolyn