Friday, February 18, 2011

A Friend of Friends Friday: African American Slaves Named in the 1821 will of ARTHUR MOORE of Franklin County, Tennessee

Note: "A Friend of Friends" was a password used on the Underground Railroad.




1821, December 8.  In the name of God Amen. I, ARTHUR MOORE of the County of Franklin, State of Tennessee, being weak in body but of sound and perfect mind and memory blessed be almighty God for the same so make and publish this my last Will and Testament in manner and form following, that is to say,


 First I give and bequeath unto my beloved wife, ELIZABETH MOORE, the following property to wit: One negro named SARAH, a girl named HANNAH, a boy the name of GEORGE, a boy the name of DAVID, also one boy by the name of ISAAC. 


Item 2nd - I will that ANNA GRAHAM has a negro girl named DESA during her natural life, then revert to the heirs of her body.


 Item 3rd - I will that my wife as aboved named has the residue and remaining part of my property real and personal at my death to have and hold and enjoy in full and peaceful possession of the same during her natural life and after her decease, the above named property is to be equally divided between the following children to wit: ALEXANDER MOORE, LODAWICK MOORE, ARCHIBALD MOORE, MARTHA JONES, PENELOPE NICHELSON , ANNA GRAHAM, MARY CORIGAN  to be equally divided amongst them. 


I also bequeath unto my beloved daughter, ELIZABETH HARTGROVE, a negro girl by the name of MARY and a negro girl by the name of JANE unto my granddaughter DICY is to be considered their legacy and full share out of my real and personal estate and that they are entitled to no more out of my estate whomsoever. 


I also nominate and apppoint my beloved sons, ALEXANDER MOORE, LODAWICK MOORE and ARCHIBALD MOORE, or any two of them my Executors to this my last Will and Testament disallowing and revoking all former wills by me made ratifying this and only this to be and remain my last Will and Testament the 8th day of December, 1821. ARTHUR MOORE Signed, sealed, published and declared in presence of John Jones, Stephen Wilkinson, James Stanley.


Have a great day!


Betty



© Betty Tartas  2011

No comments: