Friday, April 15, 2011

A Friend of Friends Friday: African American Slaves Named in the 1767 Will of Michael Stump Sr of Hampshire Co VA

Note: "A Friend of Friends" was a password used on the Underground Railway


MICHAEL STUMP Sr was born about 1715 in Schoharie, NY, the son of German immigrants who settled first in Schoharie, NY and then migrated to Tulpehocken, Lancaster Co PA.

MICHAEL married ANNA CATHERINE NEFF on Sept 10, 1739 in Tulpehocken, Lancaster Co PA. They migrated in about 1748 to Augusta Co VA as per records there, and in Frederick Co VA by 1749 as per land & survey deeds there.  Parts of Frederick & Augusta Co VA eventually became Hampshire Co VA.

According to the book, The Dyer Settlement...."In the spring of 1748 George Washington accompanied a surveying party into the South fork and South branch valleys; They surveyed for Lord Fairfax, and Washington kept a record of this (in his journal). He found settlers in the lower South Fork valley, where he surveyed for MICHAEL STUMP..."

Entries from GEORGE WASHINGTON'S diary dated March 29th through April 2 1748 indicate that he and the surveying crew were camping on the land of MICHAEL STUMP Sr while surveying for Lord Fairfax.


WILL OF MICHAEL STUMP Sr written 1767, probated 1768 Hampshire Co VA
In the Name of God Amen, I, MICHAEL STUMP of the South Fork of the South Branch of Potowmack in the County of Hampshire in the Colliny of Virginia being in a perfect state of health at present but considering the uncertainty of it and that it is necessar y for all men while they have the happiness to enjoy their sences and memory perfect to settle and dispose of their affairs in manner as may prevent any dispute of or law suits after their death amongst their friends and relations therefore to prevent the same as much as possible in my own family think proper to dispose of my estate in manner following viz.


First I give to my Beloved Wife CATHERINE the one third part of the plantation whereon I now live together with its profits and appertainences also her full third part of whatever Personal Estate I die possessed of. I also give unto each of my three Daugh ters the sum of Fifty Pounds Currancy in lieu of lands given to their respective brothers as below will appear and that my Estate may not be divided and squandered away I direct the same to be only appraised and not soulde.


Item I give and Devise to my Eldest son MICHAEL the Plantation whereon he now Lives Containing four hundred Acres Known by the Name of Lot Number two to him and his Heirs for Ever.


Item I give and devise to my Second son GEORGE the Plantation on Lot No. thirteen Joyning to the lower part of the Plantation whereon I Now live Containing four Hundred Acres to him and his Heirs for Ever. also I give unto him the said George and his heir s for Ever the Plantation Whereon I now Live Except a full third to his Mother During her Life as aforesaid.


Item I give to my Son LEONARD A Plantation on Lot No. three Joyning to the Land given to my son Michael Containing near four Hundred acres to him and his heirs for Ever.


Item I give to my Grandson MICHAEL, the son of Michael aforesaid twenty Pounds Currancy to be Left in the hands of My Wife and aplyed towards the Schooling of Said Child.


Item and as for my Personal Estate and Negroes I bequeath in manner Following that is to say I give to my son GEORGE one Negroe Named SAMPSON


Item I also give to my son LEONARD one Negroe Named DICK and all the residue of my Personal Estate not before mentioned, with one Negroe Named SAM to be Equaly Divided Between my said Chilldren.  Except the twenty Pounds Left to my grandson, which said twenty Pounds to be Deducted or taken off his Fathers Share of my Estate and to be aplyed to the use aforsaid. 


And Lastly I do hereby Nominate and appoint my said Wife CATHERINE and my said son GEORGE Executrix and Executor of this my Will hereby Revoking and makeing Void all Former Wills Declareing this and no other to be my true Last Will and Testament In Witnes s whereof I have here unto Set my hand and Seal this
Second Day of July 1767."
Signed and Sealed and
published by the Testator
in the Presence of us.
Michael Stump (Jr)
Felix Seymour




 Have a great day!

Betty




© Betty Tartas  2011

No comments: